HOMEMADE CHINESE SWEET & SOUR CHICKEN RECIPE – MELANIE COOKS
Provided by: MelanieCooks.com
Total time: 30 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
|2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts|
|2 cups cornstarch|
|4 tbsp oil|
|1 cup sugar|
|2/3 cup apple cider vinegar|
|1/4 cup ketchup|
|1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce|
|1 tbsp soy sauce|
|1 tbsp Oyster sauce|
- Put the sauce ingredients (sugar, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and Oyster sauce) in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High for 1 minute, then stir with the spoon so the sugar is dissolved.
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces and put in another bowl.
- Add the eggs to the chicken and toss to coat.
- Take two 1-gallon ziploc bags and put 1 cup of cornstarch in each bag. Put half the chicken in each bag, zip the bags and shake them until the chicken is evenly coated with cornstarch.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook the chicken in batches (so it fits in the pan in a single layer without the pieces touching each other), stirring every minute, for 4 minutes. Removed cooked chicken in a bowl.
- Put all cooked chicken back into a frying pan (all at once) and pour sweet & sour sauce over it. Heat over medium-high heat until the sauce starts boiling. Start stirring the chicken every 20 seconds until the sauce is thickened and all the chicken is evenly coated with sauce (about 4 minutes).