SPINACH, CARAMELIZED ONION, AND BACON PIZZA RECIPE | MYRECIPES
Provided by: MyRecipes
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 wedges)
|1 cup bread flour, divided|
|1 cup warm water (100° to 110°)|
|1 teaspoon sugar|
|1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)|
|1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour, divided|
|½ teaspoon salt|
|4 bacon slices, chopped|
|1 (10-ounce) package fresh spinach|
|2 cups (1/4-inch-thick) sliced onion|
|2 teaspoons sugar|
|1 tablespoon butter|
|2 garlic cloves, minced|
|3 tablespoons all-purpose flour|
|½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper|
|1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk|
|1 tablespoon cornmeal|
|1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese|
- To prepare dough, lightly spoon the bread flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Combine 1/2 cup bread flour, warm water, 1 teaspoon sugar, and yeast, stirring with a whisk. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Lightly spoon 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup bread flour, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Make a well in center of mixture. Add yeast mixture to flour mixture; stir well. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of remaining all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85º), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; cover and let rest 20 minutes.
- To prepare topping, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings. Set bacon aside. Add spinach to drippings in pan; sauté 2 minutes or until wilted. Place spinach in a colander, pressing until barely moist. Add onion and 2 teaspoons sugar to pan; cook 12 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; cool.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 3 tablespoons flour and pepper, stirring with a whisk; cook 30 seconds. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cook 5 minutes or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Preheat oven to 475º.
- Roll dough into a 12-inch circle on a floured surface. Place dough on a (12-inch) pizza pan or baking sheet coated with cooking spray adn sprinkled with cornmeal. Crimp edges of dough with fingers to form a rim. Spread milk mixture evenly over dough; top with spinach and onion.
- Bake at 475° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with bacon and cheese; bake an additional 5 minutes or until golden brown. Cut pizza into 8 wedges.
Calories 529 calories, CarbohydrateContent 71.4 g, CholesterolContent 39 mg, FatContent 17.3 g, FiberContent 4.4 g, ProteinContent 26 g, SaturatedFatContent 9.3 g, SodiumContent 981 mg