HOLIDAY FRUITCAKE RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT
Provided by: Taste of Home
Total time: 02 hours 20 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 02 hours 00 minutes
Yield: 16 servings.
|1-1/2 cups whole red candied cherries|
|1-1/2 cups whole green candied cherries|
|3 cups diced candied pineapple|
|1 pound walnut halves|
|10 ounces golden raisins|
|1 cup shortening|
|1 cup sugar|
|5 large eggs|
|4 tablespoons vanilla extract|
|3 cups all-purpose flour|
|3 teaspoons baking powder|
|1 teaspoon salt|
- Preheat oven to 300°. Combine fruit and nuts. In another bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Pour over fruit and nuts; stir to coat. , Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 2 hours. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Wrap tightly and store in a cool place. Bring to room temperature before serving; slice with a serrated knife.
Calories 686 calories, FatContent 32g fat (5g saturated fat), CholesterolContent 58mg cholesterol, SodiumContent 342mg sodium, CarbohydrateContent 92g carbohydrate (61g sugars, FiberContent 4g fiber), ProteinContent 10g protein.
GOOD FRUITCAKE RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: Amanda Hesser
Total time: 2 hours
Yield: 2 fruitcakes
|Butter for pans|
|1 pound pitted Medjool dates|
|1/2 pound prunes from Agen or use more dates|
|1 pound candied pineapple|
|1 pound candied cherries|
|1 cup chopped candied orange peel, or 1/4 cup freshly grated orange zest|
|2 cups sifted all-purpose flour|
|2 teaspoons double acting baking powder|
|1/2 teaspoon kosher salt|
|1 cup granulated sugar|
|2 teaspoons almond extract|
|2 cups shelled salted pistachios|
|1 cup shelled almonds|
|2 1/2 cups shelled pecans|
|2 cups shelled walnuts|
|White corn syrup|
|1/3 cup Armagnac, bourbon or whiskey|
- Butter two 9-inch springform pans. Line with parchment paper, and butter again. Heat oven to 275 degrees.
- Coarsely chop dates, prunes and pineapple. Combine fruit in a bowl with cherries and orange peel. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Sift this over fruit. With your hands, toss to coat.
- In medium bowl, beat eggs until frothy. Beat in sugar, then almond extract. Pour over fruit. With wooden spoon, mix well. Fold in pistachios, almonds, pecans and walnuts, and mix until coated with batter.
- Divide mixture between pans. Using your hands, pack batter firmly and fill in open spaces. Bake for about 1 1/2 hours, until tops of cakes look dry but not brown. When cakes are done, transfer to cooling racks. Let stand for 5 minutes, then release springform and peel off parchment paper on sides.
- While cakes are still hot, brush lightly with corn syrup. Let cool 30 minutes, then spoon Armagnac on top. When completely cool, remove cakes from pan base and peel off parchment paper on bottom. If not eating right away, wrap fruitcakes in plastic wrap. They will keep for two months in refrigerator. If storing, sprinkle with more Armagnac an hour before serving.