MAMAW’S CHICKEN AND RICE CASSEROLE RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: katiefbenham
Categories: Chicken and Rice Casserole
Total time: 1 hours 20 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours 0 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
|3 chicken breasts, cut into cubes|
|2 cups water|
|2 cups instant white rice|
|1 (10.75 ounce) can cream of chicken soup|
|1 (10.75 ounce) can cream of celery soup|
|1 (10.75 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup|
|salt and ground black pepper to taste|
|½ cup butter, sliced into pats|
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease sides and bottom of a casserole dish.
- Stir chicken, water, rice, cream of chicken soup, cream of celery soup, and cream of mushroom soup together in the prepared casserole dish; season with salt and pepper. Arrange butter evenly over the top of the chicken mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven until the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through, 1 hour to 75 minutes. Cool 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Calories 441.2 calories, CarbohydrateContent 36.7 g, CholesterolContent 80.7 mg, FatContent 25 g, FiberContent 0.9 g, ProteinContent 16.8 g, SaturatedFatContent 12.2 g, SodiumContent 1211.2 mg, SugarContent 1.7 g
EASY CHICKEN WITH RICE RECIPE – NYT COOKING
For fast weeknight meals, I strip chicken and rice to its essentials: oil, onion, chicken and rice. Stock makes the best cooking liquid, but water works almost as well, because as it simmers with the chicken they combine to produce a flavorful broth. To reduce greasiness, I remove the skin from the chicken before cooking it. (In a moist dish like this one, the skin is not especially appetizing anyway.)
You can easily vary this dish by using any stock instead of water; by substituting another grain, like pearled barley, for the rice; by sautéing or roasting the chicken separately and combining it with the rice at the last minute; by adding sausage or shellfish, like shrimp, along with the chicken, or, most excitingly, by adding strips of red pepper, pitted olives, capers, chopped tomatoes or shelled peas to the initial onion mix.
Provided by: Mark Bittman
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
|3 tablespoons olive oil|
|2 medium onions, about 8 ounces, peeled and sliced|
|Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|1 chicken, cut up into serving pieces|
|1 1/2 cups white rice|
|Pinch saffron, optional|
|Freshly minced parsley or cilantro for garnish|
|Lemon or lime wedges|
- Set 3 cups of water to boil. Place olive oil in a large skillet that can be covered, and turn heat to medium-high. Add onions and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions soften and become translucent, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove skin from chicken.
- Add rice to onions; stir until each grain glistens; sprinkle with saffron, and stir. Nestle chicken in rice, add a little more salt and pepper and pour in the boiling water. Turn heat to medium-low, and cover.
- Cook 20 minutes, until all water is absorbed and chicken is cooked through. (You can keep this warm over a very low flame for another 15 minutes; it will retain its heat for 15 minutes beyond that.) Garnish and serve with lemon or lime.
@context http//schema.org, Calories 581, UnsaturatedFatContent 20 grams, CarbohydrateContent 42 grams, FatContent 30 grams, FiberContent 1 gram, ProteinContent 32 grams, SaturatedFatContent 8 grams, SodiumContent 578 milligrams, SugarContent 1 gram, TransFatContent 0 grams