BLUEBERRY HAND PIES RECIPE | BON APPÉTIT
|Buttery Pie Crust (click for recipe)|
|All-purpose flour (for dusting)|
|2 cups blueberries (about 10 ounces)|
|1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest|
|1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice|
|¼ cup sugar|
|¼ teaspoon kosher salt|
|1 large egg, whisked with 1 teaspoon water|
|1 tablespoon raw sugar|
- Preheat oven to 375°.Roll out dough on a floured surface to a 15×12-inch rectangle. Cut into 6 rectangles.
- Toss blueberries, lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Brush edges of rectangles with water; mound some blueberries in center of each. Fold dough over, and press edges to seal. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with raw sugar. Cut slits in tops.
- Bake hand pies, rotating sheet halfway through, until juices are bubbling and pastry is golden brown, 35–40 minutes (juices will run onto parchment). Transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
BLUEBERRY HAND PIES RECIPE | REE DRUMMOND | FOOD NETWORK
Provided by: Ree Drummond Bio & Top Recipes
Total time: 1 hours 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
|3 cups blueberries|
|1/2 cup granulated sugar|
|3 tablespoons cornstarch|
|2 teaspoons lemon zest plus juice of 1/2 lemon|
|1 teaspoon vanilla extract|
|3 sheets frozen puff pastry (from two 17.3-ounce packages, such as Pepperidge Farm), thawed|
|1 large egg beaten with 2 tablespoons water|
|2 cups powdered sugar|
|1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract|
- For the filling: Combine the blueberries and granulated sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cook, stirring, until the sugar is melted and the berries have started to burst, a few minutes. Stir together the cornstarch and lemon juice in a small bowl until combined, then add to the blueberry mixture. Add the lemon zest and vanilla and continue to cook until glossy and thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the pastry: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- To make the pies, unfold the thawed pastry and roll out to 10-inch squares if necessary. Cut each square in quarters, making four 5-inch squares from each. Spoon 1 1/2 tablespoons of cooled filling onto one corner of each square. Brush around the squares with the egg wash. Fold the pasty over the filling on each to make a triangle, pressing lightly to remove any air pockets. Crimp the edges shut with a fork. Put the pies on the prepared baking sheets. Brush the tops of the pies with the egg wash. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack set over a baking sheet.
- For the glaze: Mix the powdered sugar, vanilla and 1/3 cup cold water in a bowl until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the pies and let set until dry.
How to make blueberry pie?
Add half of the blueberries to a small saucepan along with the sugar, cornstarch, salt, and juice and zest of 1 lemon. Cook over medium-high heat until berries soften, sugar dissolves, and mixture is smooth and thick, about 5-6 minutes. Stir in the remaining blueberries and let cool slightly. 3. Roll out pie crust.
Can You overfill blueberry hand pies?
But no matter how you shape your blueberry hand pies, be sure not to overfill them. You only want to add two and a half tablespoons of filling to each pie. Because too much filling will result in soggy hand pies. But if you have any leftover pie filling, place it in a small bowl and store it in the fridge. It’s so delicious on pancakes or waffles!
How to bake blueberry puff pastry?
Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil. In a medium bowl, combine blueberries, 3 tablespoons of sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, almond extract, and the salt. Stir then set aside. Unfold one of the thawed puff pastry sheets on a lightly floured work surface.
Can you freeze blueberry pie crust?
This blueberry pie recipe is bursting with juicy blueberry filling that uses wild or regular blueberries, store-bought or homemade pie crust. Prep these hand pies ahead of time and freeze for later!