HOW TO MAKE PERFECT PEPPER JACK CHEESE
|2 gallons milk (not Ultra High Pasteurized)|
|1 packet mesophilic cheese culture|
|1/8 tsp bulk mesophilic culture|
|1/2 tsp regular strength liquid rennet (dissolved in 1/2 cup cool filtered water)|
|1 Tbsp sea salt|
|1 3/4 to 2 3/4 tsp coarsely ground peppers of your choice|
- Heat the milk to 90°F in a stainless steel pot.
- Add culture and allow to re-hydrate for 2-3 minutes. Stir in with a stainless steel or wooden spoon with an up and down motion.
- Cover pot and let sit for 30-45 minutes to culture.
- Stir in any cream that may have separated, and add the rennet and water mixture stirring with an up and down motion.
- Let the pot sit undisturbed at 90°F for 45 minutes or until the whey separates out from the curd.
- Cut the curd into 1/4 inch cubes and let sit undisturbed for 45 minutes.
- Bring the temperature slowly up to 100°F over the next 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Keep the temperature at 100°F for the next 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Let the curds settle for 5 to 10 minutes and then pour half the whey out. Leave just enough to cover the curds.
- Keep the curds at 100°F for another 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour the curds into the colander lined with butter muslin. Add the sea salt and the pepper mixture. Mix in thoroughly.
- Let the curds drain.
- Line the mold of your press with butter muslin and pack the curds in. Press for 15 minutes at 5 pounds of pressure.
- Remove the cheese and redress. Press for 12 hours at 10 pounds of pressure.
- Remove cheese from press and allow to air dry for 2 to 3 days.
- Wax or vacuum seal cheese and age at 55° to 60°F for 30 days or 60 days if you used raw milk.
ServingSize 1 lb, Calories 2310 kcal, CarbohydrateContent 182 g, ProteinContent 119 g, FatContent 123 g, SaturatedFatContent 71 g, CholesterolContent 379 mg, SodiumContent 5116 mg, SugarContent 191 g