EASIEST CHOCOLATE BIRTHDAY CAKE RECIPE | BON APPÉTIT
Provided by: Kat Boytsova
Yield: Makes one 9″ cake
|¾ cup vegetable oil, plus more for pan|
|1⅓ cups all-purpose flour|
|1¼ cups granulated sugar|
|1¾ tsp. baking powder|
|¼ tsp. baking soda|
|1½ tsp. kosher salt, divided|
|½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder|
|2 large eggs|
|1 cup milk|
|1¾ tsp. vanilla extract, divided|
|4 oz. semisweet chocolate chips or coarsely chopped chocolate bars (do not exceed 64% cacao)|
|½ cup heavy cream|
|4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature|
|¼ cup powdered sugar|
- Place a rack in center of oven; preheat to 325°. Using your fingertips, grease bottom and sides of a 9″ round cake pan with vegetable oil. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper, smoothing to eliminate air bubbles. (It may sound fancy, but making a parchment circle is easy! Place pan on a piece of parchment, trace circumference with a pencil, then cut it out.)
- Whisk 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour, 1¼ cups granulated sugar, 1¾ tsp. baking powder, ¼ tsp. baking soda, and 1¼ tsp. kosher salt in a large bowl. Sift ½ cup cocoa powder into bowl, then whisk to combine. (You can stop here and package these dry ingredients in an airtight container to create a sort of DIY cake mix if you want!)
- Whisk 2 large eggs, ¾ cup vegetable oil, and 1 tsp. vanilla extract in a medium bowl until well combined and creamy, about 30 seconds. Using a spatula, mix egg mixture into dry ingredients until fully incorporated. It will be thick and pasty, that’s okay!
- Warm 1 cup milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until it comes to just a bare simmer—make sure it doesn’t come to a boil. Whisk warmed milk into batter until lump-free and just combined; do not overmix.
- Immediately transfer batter to prepared pan. Tap pan a few times on work surface to encourage some of the bubbles to escape.
- Bake cake, turning pan halfway through, until a cake tester (or toothpick!) inserted into the center of cake comes out clean, 40–50 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cake cool in pan.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting: Fill a medium pot with 1″ water and bring to a bare simmer over medium heat. Combine 4 oz. chocolate chips and ½ cup heavy cream in a heatproof medium bowl, place over saucepan, and reduce heat to low (make sure bottom of bowl is not touching water). Stir occasionally with a spatula until chocolate is melted and mixture is homogeneous and thick. Chill ganache until cool to the touch, about 25 minutes (you can mix with a spatula to encourage cooling). Alternately, mix chocolate and cream in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 10-second bursts until melted.
- Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, whisk 4 oz. (room temperature!) cream cheese, ¼ cup powdered sugar, and remaining ¾ tsp. vanilla extract and ¼ tsp. kosher salt in a large bowl until very smooth and no lumps remain. Beat in cooled chocolate ganache on medium speed, scraping down sides of bowl as needed, until frosting just holds its peak and is well combined and a little thicker, about 1 minute. You don’t want to overbeat because the frosting can become too stiff.
- Run a butter knife around edges of pan. Invert cooled cake onto a plate and peel off parchment. Invert again onto a platter.
- Top cake with frosting, spreading evenly across the surface. Make some decorative swooshes with a spoon, if desired. Slice and serve.
CHOCOLATE BIRTHDAY CAKE | TASTEMADE
Provided by: Tastemade
|1 cup hot water|
|3 tablespoons instant coffee|
|1/2 cup cocoa powder|
|1 tablespoon vanilla extract|
|1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour|
|1 cup sugar|
|3/4 teaspoon baking soda|
|1/2 teaspoon salt|
|1/2 cup vegetable oil|
|3/4 cup mini chocolate chips|
|2 teaspoons white vinegar|
|1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature|
|2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar|
|1 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder|
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve the instant coffee in the hot water. Then add the cocoa powder and vanilla, whisk together, then pour into the dry mixture.
- Add the vegetable oil, chocolate chips and vinegar, and mix until everything is well combined.
- Pour into a greased 9-inch round cake pan and bake at 375F for 30-35 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Trim the edges off the cake to create clean edges. Using a plate or bowl as a guide is very handy!
- Then spread a thin layer of buttercream over the entire surface of the cake and transfer the cake to the fridge to chill, for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the cake to the serving platter of your choice and pipe swirls of buttercream over the entire surface. Top with birthday candles and enjoy!
- Place the butter in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Add the confectioner's sugar one cup at a time, then continue beating until fluffy. Add the cocoa powder and mix until combined.
- Place about 3/4 of the buttercream in a piping bag fitted with a large, star-shaped piping tip.
CHOCOLATE BIRTHDAY CAKE COOKIES RECIPE – FOOD FANATIC
Total time: 30 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
|1 cup all-purpose flour|
|1 cup chocolate cake mix|
|3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder|
|1 tablespoon cornstarch|
|1 teaspoon baking soda|
|2 sticks salted butter, slightly softened|
|2/3 cup granulated sugar|
|1 cup packed brown sugar|
|2 large eggs|
|2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract|
|1/2 cup miniature m&m’s candies|
|1/2 cup chocolate chips|
|1 1/2 cups rainbow nonpareils, or any chocolate candy of your choosing|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cake mix, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and baking soda. Set aside. In the bowl of your mixer, beat butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Mix in vanilla extract. With the mixer on medium-low speed, slowly add the flour mixture, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed until combined. Fold in chips and candies. Using a large cookie scoop, scoop cookies onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes or until edges are set and centers look slightly undercooked. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
ServingSize 1 large cookie, Calories 284 calories, FatContent 14 g, CarbohydrateContent 31 g, FiberContent 1 g, ProteinContent 2 g, SaturatedFatContent 6 g, SodiumContent 64 mg, SugarContent 25 g