HOW TO MAKE CRISPY TEMPURA AT HOME RECIPE BY TASTY
Provided by: Rie McClenny
Total time: 1 hours
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
|1 cup cake flour, sifted, plus more for dusting|
|1 cup ice cold water|
|1 large egg, cold|
|4 jumbo shrimps, peeled and deveined, tail-on|
|2 japanese eggplants|
|canola oil, for frying|
|3 oz kabocha squash, sliced into wedges|
- Make the tempura batter: Sift the flour into a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and water until lightly frothy. Add the flour in 3 additions, stirring with chopsticks just to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare the shrimp: Trim the tails, then use your knife to scrape the dirt and water from the remaining tail shell. Cut small incisions crosswise on both the top and bottom of the shrimp. This will prevent the shrimp from curling up as it cooks. Do not cut too deep, or the shrimp will fall apart. Pat the shrimp dry between paper towels, then refrigerate until ready to fry.
- Prepare the eggplant: Trim the stem, then cut in half lengthwise. Leaving the top ½ inch (1 ¼ cm) intact, cut 5-6 ½-inch (¼ cm) thick slices down the length of the eggplant.
- Fry the kabocha squash: Fill a medium pot about halfway with oil. Heat over medium heat until it reaches 320°F (160°C).
- Coat the kabocha wedges lightly with flour, dusting off any excess. Dip the wedges in the tempura batter. Fry in the hot oil for 4-5 minutes, or until tender. Let any excess oil drip off, then transfer to a wire rack set over a paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
- Fry the eggplant: Increase the oil temperature to 340°F (170°C).
- Coat the eggplant lightly with flour, dusting off any excess. Dip in the tempura batter. Fry in the hot oil for 2-3 minutes, or until tender. Transfer to the wire rack to drain.
- Fry the shrimp: Increase the oil temperature to 350°F (180°C).
- Lightly coat the shrimp with flour, dusting off any excess. Dip in the tempura batter. Add the shrimp to the hot oil. Dip your fingers into the tempura batter and drizzle over the shrimp. This will make them extra crunchy. Fry the shrimp for 3-4 minutes, or until cooked through. Transfer to the wire rack to drain.
- Serve the tempura immediately with dipping sauce or seasoned salt alongside.
Calories 328 calories, CarbohydrateContent 52 grams, FatContent 9 grams, FiberContent 8 grams, ProteinContent 10 grams, SugarContent 9 grams
FANTASTIC CRISPY TEMPURA BATTER RECIPE – FOOD.COM
Total time: 23 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 3 minutes
Yield: 4 serving(s)
|3/4 cup beer (do not use a dark beer!)|
|3/4 cup rice flour|
|3/4 teaspoon salt|
|1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)|
|1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional or to taste)|
|vegetable oil (for deep frying)|
- In a bowl whisk beer with the rice flour until very smooth.
- Add in salt and garlic powder and cayenne (if using).
- Let sit out at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees.
- Dredge the fish or veggies into the batter coating completely with batter, letting any excess drip off.
- Deep-fry turning once until golden (about 3 minutes).
- Transfer to a piece of brown paper (a brown paper bag will do for this!).
- Season with seasoning salt.
Calories 130.2, FatContent 0.4, SaturatedFatContent 0.1, CholesterolContent 0, SodiumContent 438.3, CarbohydrateContent 25.9, FiberContent 0.8, SugarContent 0.1, ProteinContent 2.1
CRISPY SHRIMP TEMPURA RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: S. Sundt
Categories: Japanese Recipes
Total time: 35 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
|1 cup all-purpose flour|
|2 tablespoons cornstarch|
|1 pinch salt|
|1 cup water|
|1 egg yolk|
|2 egg whites, lightly beaten|
|1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on|
|2 cups vegetable oil for frying|
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Whisk flour, cornstarch, and salt in a large bowl. Make a depression in the center of the flour. Stir in the water and egg yolk. Mix just until moistened; batter will be lumpy. Stir in egg whites.
- One at a time, dip shrimp into the batter to coat. Do not batter tails. Carefully place a few shrimp at a time into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
Calories 891.2 calories, CarbohydrateContent 25.3 g, CholesterolContent 138.6 mg, FatContent 81.5 g, FiberContent 0.8 g, ProteinContent 16.4 g, SaturatedFatContent 11 g, SodiumContent 224.6 mg, SugarContent 0.2 g