GRANDMA’S ITALIAN EGGPLANT PARMIGIANA RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Daddy’s Kitchen
Categories: Italian Recipes
Total time: 9 hours 35 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Yield: 1 9×13-inch dish
|2 medium Italian eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices|
|2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted|
|3 tablespoons sea salt, or to taste|
|1 tablespoon ground black pepper, or to taste|
|5 eggs, room temperature|
|3 tablespoons water, room temperature|
|½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, or as needed|
|2 cups freshly grated Pecorino-Romano cheese, divided|
|40 ounces Italian-style tomato sauce|
|2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese|
|30 ounces freshly grated mozzarella cheese|
- Lay eggplant slices on top of paper towels and sprinkle with sea salt to draw out moisture. Cover with additional paper towels. Let sit, 8 hours to overnight.
- Place flour into a 1-gallon resealable plastic bag. Add salt and pepper; shake the bag to mix. Place 6 eggplant slices into the bag, seal, and shake to coat.
- Beat eggs and water together using a fork in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 inches of oil over medium-high heat in a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Line baking sheets with paper towels to drain eggplants after frying.
- Shake excess flour from eggplant slices and place into egg mixture, turning to ensure both sides are coated. Allow excess egg mixture to drip off.
- Fry in hot oil until slightly golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to the paper towel-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle each slice with 1 tablespoon Pecorino Romano cheese. Repeat process until all eggplant slices are fried. Let cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Pour a small amount of tomato sauce into the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking pan to cover.
- Place 1/3 of the eggplant slices over sauce, slightly overlapping them. Sprinkle 1/3 of the remaining Pecorino-Romano cheese and Parmesan cheese evenly on top. Cover with a light layer of sauce. Sprinkle 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese over sauce. Repeat for a total of 3 layers.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bubbly, about 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes to set.
Calories 568.9 calories, CarbohydrateContent 33.1 g, CholesterolContent 145.9 mg, FatContent 32.7 g, FiberContent 5.3 g, ProteinContent 35.6 g, SaturatedFatContent 14.8 g, SodiumContent 2463.2 mg, SugarContent 7.9 g