SIMPLE MACARONI AND CHEESE RECIPE (WITH VIDEO) | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: g0dluvsugly
Categories: Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
Total time: 25 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
|1 (8 ounce) box elbow macaroni|
|¼ cup butter|
|¼ cup all-purpose flour|
|½ teaspoon salt|
|ground black pepper to taste|
|2 cups milk|
|2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese|
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook elbow macaroni in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, 8 minutes.
- At the same time, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, salt, and pepper and stir until smooth, about 5 minutes. Pour in milk slowly, while stirring continuously. Continue to cook and stir until mixture is smooth and bubbling, about 5 minutes, making sure the milk doesn’t burn.
- Add Cheddar cheese and stir until melted, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Drain macaroni and fold into cheese sauce until coated.
Calories 630.2 calories, CarbohydrateContent 55 g, CholesterolContent 99.6 mg, FatContent 33.6 g, FiberContent 2.1 g, ProteinContent 26.5 g, SaturatedFatContent 20.9 g, SodiumContent 777 mg, SugarContent 7.6 g
BEST MACARONI AND CHEESE RECIPE – HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE MAC …
Provided by: THEPIONEERWOMAN.COM
Categories: comfort food,dinner,main dish,side dish,snack
Total time: 30 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
|4 c. dried macaroni|
|1 whole egg|
|1/4 c. (1/2 stick or 4 tablespoons) salted butter|
|1/4 c. all-purpose flour|
|2 1/2 c. whole milk|
|2 tsp. (heaping) dry mustard, more if desired|
|1 lb. cheese (such as cheddar, jack and/or fontina), grated|
|1/2 tsp. salt, more to taste|
|1/2 tsp. seasoned salt, more to taste|
|1/2 tsp. ground black pepper|
|Optional spices: cayenne pepper, paprika and/or thyme|
- Cook the macaroni until very firm. The macaroni should be too firm to eat right out of the pot. Drain.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg.
- In a large pot, melt the butter and sprinkle in the flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook the mixture for 5 minutes, whisking constantly. Don’t let it burn. Pour in the milk, add the mustard, and whisk until smooth. Cook for 5 minutes until very thick. Reduce the heat to low.
- Take 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly pour it into the beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking the egg. Whisk together till smooth.
- Pour the egg mixture into the sauce, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth. Add in the cheese and stir to melt. Add the salt, seasoned salt and pepper. Taste the sauce and add more salt and seasoned salt as needed! DO NOT UNDERSALT. Pour in the drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine. Serve immediately (very creamy) or pour into a buttered baking dish, top with extra cheese, and bake at 350˚ for 20 to 25 minutes, or until bubbly and golden on top.
HOW TO MAKE MAC AND CHEESE – EASY STOVETOP RECIPE | KITCHN
Provided by: Emma Christensen
Categories: Side dish,Pasta dish,Main dish,Mac and cheese,Lunch,Dinner,Noodles
Total time: 0S
|1 pound dried short pasta, such as macaroni|
|1 1/2 cups whole or 2% milk, divided|
|2 tablespoons all-purpose flour|
|2 to 3 cups shredded cheese, such as cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Colby|
|1 teaspoon kosher salt|
|1/4 teaspoon powdered mustard|
|Optional extras (cook before adding): ham, cooked bacon, onions, peas, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower|
- Cook the pasta. Bring about 4 quarts of salted water to a boil over high heat in a large pot. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Warm the milk. Place 1 cup of the milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Meanwhile, place the remaining 1/2 cup of milk and flour in a small bowl and whisk together until there are no lumps. When you just start to see whisps of steam rising from the warming milk, whisk in the milk-and-flour mixture. Continue whisking gently until the milk thickens slightly to the consistency of heavy cream, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Make the cheese sauce. Turn the heat to low and begin mixing handfuls of cheese into the milk. Stir in the salt and mustard. Stir until all the cheese has melted and the sauce is creamy. Taste and adjust the seasonings as desired. Remove the sauce from the heat.
- Combine the pasta and cheese sauce. Place the pasta and 1/2 of the cheese sauce in a large serving bowl. Stir to coat the pasta evenly. Add the remaining sauce and any extra add-ins and stir to combine. If you'd like a looser sauce, add up to another 1/4 cup milk if desired. Serve the mac and cheese immediately while still warm.
SaturatedFatContent 11.6 g, UnsaturatedFatContent 0.0 g, CarbohydrateContent 62.1 g, SugarContent 5.3 g, ServingSize Serves 6, ProteinContent 25.4 g, FatContent 21.0 g, Calories 543 cal, SodiumContent 452.1 mg, FiberContent 2.5 g, CholesterolContent 0 mg