RIB-EYE STEAK AND POTATOES FOR TWO RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: David Tanis
Total time: 1 hours
Yield: 2 servings
|1 large boneless rib-eye steak, cut 2 inches thick (at least 1 1/2 pounds)|
|Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|2 cloves garlic, sliced, plus 1 teaspoon minced garlic|
|1 rosemary sprig, roughly chopped|
|1 pound very small potatoes, rinsed|
|2 tablespoons butter|
|1/4 cup finely chopped parsley|
|Finely grated zest of 1 small lemon|
|Arugula or watercress, for serving (optional)|
- Season steak generously with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with sliced garlic and rosemary and set aside to marinate, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Meanwhile, bring a pot of well-salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook at a brisk simmer until just done, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and keep warm.
- Heat a cast-iron or other heavy skillet over high heat. Remove and discard sliced garlic from steak. (If left on, it will burn in the skillet.)
- When pan is hot, put in the steak and let brown well on one side, 4 to 5 minutes. Wait until steak forms a crust and comes away cleanly from the bottom to move it.
- Flip steak and transfer pan to oven, uncovered. Roast until juices begin to rise on surface of steak (you will see the droplets) and internal temperature is 120 degrees, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove steak from pan and let rest, tented with foil, for 5 to 10 minutes. (Residual heat will continue to cook the meat to medium-rare as it rests.) Warm a serving bowl for the potatoes and plates for the steak.
- Melt butter in a wide skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and toss to coat and heat through. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add minced garlic and cook, stirring, until softened but not browned, 1 minute or less. Gently stir in parsley and lemon zest and transfer to serving bowl.
- Cutting on a slight diagonal, slice steak into 1/2-inch slices, then transfer to plates. If using, place a handful of greens next to the steak. Serve immediately, passing potatoes at the table.
@context http//schema.org, Calories 850, UnsaturatedFatContent 26 grams, CarbohydrateContent 45 grams, FatContent 56 grams, FiberContent 7 grams, ProteinContent 46 grams, SaturatedFatContent 27 grams, SodiumContent 1153 milligrams, SugarContent 2 grams, TransFatContent 3 grams