RICOTTA PIE (OLD ITALIAN RECIPE) RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Misty
Categories: Italian Recipes
Total time: 2 hours 0 minutes
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Yield: 2 9-inch deep-dish pies
|12 large eggs|
|2 cups white sugar|
|2 teaspoons vanilla extract|
|3 pounds ricotta cheese|
|¼ cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips, or to taste|
|4 cups all-purpose flour|
|1 cup white sugar|
|5 teaspoons baking powder|
|½ cup shortening, chilled|
|1 tablespoon shortening, chilled|
|4 large eggs, lightly beaten|
|1 teaspoon vanilla extract|
|1 tablespoon milk|
- Make the filling: Beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla together in a large bowl. Stir in ricotta cheese and chocolate chips; set aside.
- Make the crust: Combine flour, sugar, and baking powder together in a large bowl; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in beaten eggs and vanilla. Divide dough into 4 balls, wrap in plastic, and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease two 9-inch, deep-dish pie plates.
- Roll out two dough balls and line the bottom and sides of each prepared pie plate. Try not to make the crust too thick, as it will expand during cooking. Roll the remaining two dough balls out into 10-inch circles. Cut into 1/2-inch strips with a sharp paring knife or pastry wheel.
- Pour ricotta filling evenly into pie crusts. Start with the longest strips of dough and lay the first 2 in an X in the center of the pie. Alternate horizontal and vertical strips, weaving them in an over-and-under pattern. Use the shortest strips for the edges of the lattice. Fold the ends of the lattice strips under the edge of the bottom crust and flute the crust; brush lattice top with milk. Arrange foil on edges of crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes; remove foil. Rotate pies on the rack so they will bake evenly. Continue to bake until a knife inserted in the center of each pie comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes more. Cool completely on wire racks. Refrigerate until serving.
Calories 352.1 calories, CarbohydrateContent 45.6 g, CholesterolContent 141.6 mg, FatContent 13.4 g, FiberContent 0.7 g, ProteinContent 12.9 g, SaturatedFatContent 5.4 g, SodiumContent 220.1 mg, SugarContent 26.5 g