PARTY JEWEL CAKE | JUST A PINCH RECIPES
Provided by: Tara Guthrie @TaraCooks
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
|2 – 9″ layers of cake, baked and cooled (plus ingredients to make cake according to box directions)|
|1 – egg, beaten|
|1 cup(s) white granulated sugar|
|1 cup(s) evaporated milk|
|1/4 teaspoon(s) salt|
|1/2 cup(s) butter or margarine, melted|
|1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract|
|1 1/2 cup(s) shredded coconut|
|1 cup(s) chopped pecans|
|1 cup(s) maraschino cherries, well drained and cut in halves|
- Bake cake according to package directions. I usually use yellow or white cake mix, but you can use others too. (See personal notes.) Cool cake completely.
- Combine egg, sugar, evaporated milk, salt, and butter in a 2-quart saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. Do not boil. Mixture should be thick enough when it just begins to boil. Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla, coconut, pecans, and cherries. Mix well. Cool completely at room temperature, or chill to cool if you are short on time.
- When cake and filling are both cool, spread filling between layers and on top of cake (not around sides). If desired, decorate top of cake with additional pecan halves and whole maraschino cherries (drained well). Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled before serving.
JEWEL CAKES RECIPE – FOOD.COM
Total time: 24 hours 30 minutes
Prep time: 24 hours
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 64 small cakes
|1 cup butter|
|1 cup sugar|
|2 cups flour|
|1/2 cup red raspberry preserves|
|1/2 cup apricot preserves|
|1 (5 ounce) can slivered almonds|
|1 cup sour cream|
|3/4 cup powdered sugar|
|3 tablespoons butter|
|1 tablespoon cream|
|1 dash salt|
|1 tablespoon vanilla|
- Separate eggs.
- Beat whites to a soft peak.
- Cream butter with sugar in a large bowl.
- Add egg yolks and beat.
- Stir in the flour until it disappears completely.
- Then fold in beaten egg whites.
- Grease bottom of 13x9x2″ pan.
- (Yes, I mean the bottom. It’ll be a lot easier than using the pan like normal.) Measure out 2/3 cup of batter.
- Spread on pan, not quite to the edges.
- Bake at 350F oven about 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Slide off carefully and let cool.
- Repeat until you have made five thin layers of cake.
- In a small bowl, grind almonds until fine.
- Mix in sour cream.
- Then take 1 layer and spread 1/4 cup apricot preserves over it.
- Spread 1/3 cup of sour cream mixture on top of preserves.
- Cover with another layer of cake.
- Spread 1/4 cup raspberry preserves over top layer.
- Cover the preserves with more sour cream.
- Alternate layers between raspberry and apricot preserves.
- When all layers are put together, cover with wax paper.
- Lay flat weights on top of it- a few good sized books should do the trick.
- Leave in refridgerator with weight overnight.
- In the morning, trim off rough edges.
- Use Jewel Cake Icing to cover.
- We usually create little flowers on each of the cakes, using a dragee to make the centre.
- Cut into 64 square cakes and enjoy!
Calories 100.4, FatContent 5.6, SaturatedFatContent 2.8, CholesterolContent 22.8, SodiumContent 41.9, CarbohydrateContent 11.5, FiberContent 0.4, SugarContent 7, ProteinContent 1.4