MINI WHITE BREADS RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT
Provided by: Taste of Home
Total time: 40 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 2 loaves (4 slices each).
|1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast|
|1 tablespoon sugar|
|1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)|
|2-1/4 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour|
|1 teaspoon salt|
|1/2 cup whole milk|
|2 teaspoons butter, melted|
|Additional melted butter|
- Combine yeast, sugar and water in a large bowl. Add 11/2 cups of flour, salt, milk and butter. Mix for 3 minutes on medium speed. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough., Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes., Punch dough down; shape into loaves. Place in two greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes., Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Brush tops with melted butter.
Calories 69 calories, FatContent 1g fat, CholesterolContent 0 cholesterol, SodiumContent 135mg sodium, CarbohydrateContent 14g carbohydrate, FiberContent 2g protein.
NO-KNEAD CRUSTY ARTISAN MINI LOAVES – THE COMFORT OF COOKING
Provided by: Georgia
|3 cups all-purpose flour|
|1/2 teaspoon dry yeast , (active dry or highly active dry work best)|
|2-3 teaspoons kosher salt (not table salt)|
|1 1/2 cups warm water|
|Dutch oven or any large oven-safe dish/bowl and lid*|
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt and yeast. Stir in water using a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a shaggy but cohesive dough. Do not over-work the dough. The less you “work” it, the more soft, fluffy air pockets will form.
- Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Let dough sit at room temperature for 8-24 hours*. Dough will bubble up and rise.
- After dough is ready, preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place your Dutch oven (or other large baking dish), uncovered, into the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- While your Dutch oven preheats, turn dough onto a well-floured surface. With floured hands, form the dough into a ball. Divide into 6 equal-sized pieces and gently form into round balls. Cover dough loosely with plastic wrap and let rest.
- After the 30 minutes are up, carefully remove Dutch oven. With floured hands, place dough balls into it. (You can put a piece of parchment under the dough if your Dutch oven isn’t enamel coated.)
- Replace cover and bake for 30 minutes covered. Carefully remove cover and bake for 7-15 minutes* more, uncovered.
- Carefully remove loaves to a cutting board. Use for crostini, sandwich buns, or garlic bread!
- Uncovered baking time depends on your oven. In my oven, the loaves only need 7 minutes uncovered until crusty and golden brown, but this can vary. Just keep an eye on it!
- Heating your Dutch oven to 450 degrees F will not damage it, or the knob on top.
- I’ve let this dough rise anywhere between 8-24 hours and it has baked up beautifully. Just make sure it has risen and appears to “bubble” to the surface.
- There’s no need to grease the Dutch oven/baking dish/pot. My bread has never stuck to the pot. If you are concerned though, put a piece of parchment paper under your dough before placing into your pot.
- I do not recommend using whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour in this recipe. The resulting bread will be very dense, and not as fluffy and delicious.
- I used a 5.5 quart enameled cast iron Le Creuset pot, but you can use any large oven-safe dish and cover. All of these also work: a baking dish covered with aluminum foil, crockpot insert, stainless steel pot with a lid, pizza stone with an oven-safe bowl to cover the bread, and old cast iron Dutch oven.
- Add any mix-ins you like – herbs, spices, dried fruit, chopped nuts and cheese all work well. I recommend adding them into the initial flour-yeast mixture to avoid over-working the mix-ins into the dough. The less you “work” it, the more you’re encouraging soft, fluffy air pockets to form!
ServingSize 1 grams, UnsaturatedFatContent 0 grams unsaturated fat