MOTHER’S WALNUT CAKE RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT
pumpkin pie crescents.
Provided by: Taste of Home
Total time: 40 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 16 servings.
|1/2 cup butter, softened|
|1/2 cup shortening|
|2 cups sugar|
|4 large eggs, room temperature|
|3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour|
|2 teaspoons baking soda|
|1/2 teaspoon salt|
|1-1/2 cups buttermilk|
|2 teaspoons vanilla extract|
|1-1/2 cups ground walnuts|
|11 ounces cream cheese, softened|
|3/4 cup butter, softened|
|5 to 5-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar|
|1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract|
|1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts|
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter, shortening and granulated sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and vanilla. Beat on low speed just until combined. Stir in ground walnuts. , Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. , For frosting, beat cream cheese and butter. Add confectioners’ sugar; mix well. Beat in vanilla until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with walnuts. Refrigerate.
Calories 685 calories, FatContent 35g fat (16g saturated fat), CholesterolContent 114mg cholesterol, SodiumContent 475mg sodium, CarbohydrateContent 86g carbohydrate (61g sugars, FiberContent 1g fiber), ProteinContent 9g protein.
ZUCCHINI WALNUT CAKE WITH WHIPPED HONEY LEMON YOGURT …
Provided by: Tastemade
Prep time: 50 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
|2 medium sized zucchini, shredded (about 2 cups)|
|1 1/2 teaspoon salt|
|2 1/2 cups all purpose flour|
|1/4 teaspoon nutmeg|
|1/2 teaspoon baking powder|
|1/2 teaspoon baking soda|
|1 1/2 cups sugar|
|1 cup olive oil|
|1/4 cup milk|
|1/2 cup greek yogurt|
|2 lemons, zested and juiced|
|3/4 cup chopped walnuts|
|2 cups plain full fat greek yogurt|
|1/2 cup honey|
|1 lemon, juiced and zested|
- Grate the zucchini on a box grater. Place the grated zucchini in a colander over a bowl and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the strained zucchini to a clean kitchen towel and squeeze to remove as much water as possible, then set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk the flour, 1 teaspoon salt, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and sugar.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the zucchini, olive oil, milk, yogurt, eggs, lemon zest and juice of 2 lemons. Slowly stir the dry ingredients into the wet, and mix until well combined. Fold in the walnuts.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick poked in the center comes out clean.
- Add the yogurt, honey, and lemon zest and juice to a medium bowl and use a whisk to whip until smooth. Serve slices of cake topped with a dollop of honey lemon yogurt.