EASY HOMEMADE PASTRAMI RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Chef John
Categories: Corned Beef
Total time: 18 hours 50 minutes
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 6 hours 10 minutes
Yield: 1 4-pound pastrami
|½ cup vegetable oil|
|2 cloves garlic, crushed|
|¼ cup coarsely ground fresh black pepper|
|2 tablespoons smoked paprika|
|2 teaspoons ground coriander|
|1 teaspoon dry mustard|
|½ teaspoon ground white pepper|
|¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper|
|4 pounds corned beef brisket|
- Mix vegetable oil and garlic in a small bowl; set aside for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees F (110 degrees C).
- Combine black pepper, paprika, coriander, dry mustard, white pepper, and cayenne pepper in a large bowl; set aside.
- Cover a baking sheet with a large sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil; coat with prepared garlic oil. Lay beef brisket on the oiled foil sheet and brush with remaining garlic oil. Cover brisket completely with pepper mixture, reserving 1 to 2 tablespoons.
- Wrap brisket, fat-side up, in the sheet of foil. Place wrapped corned beef on another sheet of aluminum foil with the seam- and fat-sides down. Place double-wrapped brisket, seam-side down, on a third sheet of aluminum foil; wrap again.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 6 hours.
- Remove pastrami from the oven and let cool to room temperature, about 3 hours. Do not remove the foil.
- Place foil-wrapped pastrami in a freezer bag or other plastic bag; refrigerate for 8 to 10 hours.
- Preheat the oven’s broiler and set the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Remove pastrami from the refrigerator, unwrap, and place on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle top with 1 to 2 tablespoons remaining pepper mixture.
- Place pastrami under the broiler and cook until surface browns, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove pastrami from the oven and cut into thin slices, about 1/8-inch thick.
- Heat a large skillet over low heat.
- Warm pastrami slices in the skillet with a few drops of water until fat turns translucent, about 5 minutes.
Calories 4709.2 calories, CarbohydrateContent 32.6 g, CholesterolContent 979.8 mg, FatContent 383.9 g, FiberContent 14.5 g, ProteinContent 273.2 g, SaturatedFatContent 103.4 g, SodiumContent 22099.4 mg, SugarContent 1.7 g