ROAST CHICKEN WITH VEGETABLES AND POTATOES | MARTHA STEWART
Provided by: Shira Bocar
Categories: Chicken Recipes
Total time: 2 hours 5 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
|1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds)|
|Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper|
|6 small carrots, peeled and halved lengthwise|
|3 shallots, peeled and halved lengthwise|
|1 1/2 pounds fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise|
|1 lemon, halved|
|3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil|
|1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves|
- Place chicken on a large plate and season generously with salt and pepper; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Let chicken stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, toss carrots, shallots, potatoes, and lemon with 2 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a large roasting pan, with shallots in center and carrots, potatoes, and lemon toward edges.
- Rub chicken with remaining 1 tablespoon oil, tie legs with twine, and nestle in center. Roast, flipping vegetables around edges once, until chicken is golden and a thermometer inserted into thickest part of breast (avoiding bone) registers 160 degrees, 55 to 60 minutes. Transfer chicken and lemon halves to a carving board and tent loosely with foil. Flip vegetables; return to oven and roast until caramelized and tender, 15 to 20 minutes more. Carve chicken and transfer to a platter or return to roasting pan. Sprinkle with parsley, squeeze lemon over top, and serve with vegetables.
PERFECT ROAST CHICKEN RECIPE | INA GARTEN | FOOD NETWORK
Provided by: Ina Garten Bio & Top Recipes
Total time: 2 hours 10 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours 30 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
|1 (5 to 6 pound) roasting chicken|
|Freshly ground black pepper|
|1 large bunch fresh thyme, plus 20 sprigs|
|1 lemon, halved|
|1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise|
|2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, melted|
|1 large yellow onion, thickly sliced|
|4 carrots cut into 2-inch chunks|
|1 bulb of fennel, tops removed, and cut into wedges|
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken giblets. Rinse the chicken inside and out. Remove any excess fat and leftover pin feathers and pat the outside dry. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, both halves of lemon, and all the garlic. Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken. Place the onions, carrots, and fennel in a roasting pan. Toss with salt, pepper, 20 sprigs of thyme, and olive oil. Spread around the bottom of the roasting pan and place the chicken on top.
- Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh. Remove the chicken and vegetables to a platter and cover with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes. Slice the chicken onto a platter and serve it with the vegetables.