SEAFOOD CHOWDER • THE WICKED NOODLE
Provided by: Kristy Bernardo
Total time: 35 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
|2 tbsp butter|
|2 cups chopped onion|
|1 celery stalk, chopped|
|1/4 cup all-purpose flour|
|4 cups chicken broth|
|1 lb russet potatoes, peeled and diced|
|1 can cream-style corn|
|1/2 lb bay scallops|
|1/2 lb small-medium size shrimp|
|1 lb whitefish, cut into 1/2 inch cubes|
|2 cans clams, undrained|
|1 cup half & half|
|1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning|
|1/2 tsp coarse salt, more to taste|
|1/4 tsp white pepper|
|1/2 cup cooked bacon, crumbled or diced, cooked pancetta (for topping; optional)|
- Heat a stockpot over medium heat. Add the butter and, when it’s melted, add the onions and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and whisk until it’s smooth, cooking for another minute (this will allow the raw flour taste to cook out).
Slowly pour in 1/2 cup of the chicken broth, whisking constantly, until it’s smooth. Add the potatoes, remaining chicken broth, and creamed corn to the pot and stir well. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce the heat to keep it at a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the scallops, shrimp, fish, clams, and half & half; stir gently. Simmer another 10 minutes.
Add the Old Bay, salt and pepper. Taste and add more seasoning if necessary. Ladle into bowls, top with the crumbled bacon (if using), and serve immediately.
Calories 373 calories, CarbohydrateContent 32 grams carbohydrates, CholesterolContent 97 milligrams cholesterol, FatContent 13 grams fat, FiberContent 3 grams fiber, ProteinContent 32 grams protein, SaturatedFatContent 5 grams saturated fat, ServingSize 1, SodiumContent 1379 grams sodium, SugarContent 6 grams sugar, TransFatContent 0 grams trans fat, UnsaturatedFatContent 7 grams unsaturated fat
SEAFOOD CHOWDER RECIPE | BON APPÉTIT
Provided by: Betsy and Kristine Larsen
Yield: Makes about 8 quarts
|2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided|
|1 large onion, finely chopped|
|1 celery stalk, finely chopped|
|1 Tbsp. Old Bay seasoning|
|1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more|
|1 Tbsp. dry sherry or mirin|
|2½ cups clam juice, divided|
|2 cups fish or seafood stock or broth|
|1 lb. potatoes (any kind), peeled,cut into ½” pieces|
|1¼ lb. mixed white fish (such as swordfish and/or sea bass) and shellfish (such as peeled, deveined shrimp), cut into ½” pieces|
|8 oz. cooked lobster meat, cut into cubes (optional)|
|1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour|
|½ cup half-and-half|
- Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Cook onion and celery, stirring often, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Mix in Old Bay and 1 tsp. pepper; cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add sherry; cook, stirring occasionally, until alcohol has cooked off, about 1 minute. Add ½ cup clam juice; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very soft, about 5 minutes. Add stock and remaining 2 cups clam juice and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and simmer, uncovered, adjusting heat as needed, until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add fish and shellfish and cook, stirring gently, just until mixture returns to a simmer, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lobster meat if using.
- While the potatoes are simmering, melt remaining 1 Tbsp. butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly, until light blond in color, about 1 minute. Whisk in half-and-half and 1 cup chowder broth (skimmed off the top) and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Cook, still whisking, until thickened and creamy.
- Stir half-and-half mixture into chowder ; return to medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring gently. Remove from heat; season with salt and more pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve with oyster crackers.
BEST SEAFOOD CHOWDER RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT
Provided by: Taste of Home
Total time: 60 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 32 servings (8 quarts).
|1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced|
|2 medium onions, chopped|
|6 cups cubed peeled potatoes|
|4 cups water|
|1 pound bay or sea scallops, quartered|
|1 pound lobster meat, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined|
|1 pound cod, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|1 pound haddock, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|1/2 cup butter, melted|
|4 teaspoons salt|
|4 teaspoons minced fresh parsley|
|1/2 teaspoon curry powder|
|2 quarts whole milk|
|1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk|
|Oyster crackers, optional|
- In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels; reserve drippings. Saute onions in drippings until tender. Add potatoes and water; bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes., Add the scallops, lobster, shrimp, cod and haddock. Cook for 10 minutes or until scallops are opaque, shrimp turn pink and fish flakes easily with a fork. Add the butter, salt, parsley and curry powder. Stir in milk and evaporated milk; heat through. Garnish with bacon, additional parsley, and oyster crackers, if desired.
Calories 193 calories, FatContent 9g fat (4g saturated fat), CholesterolContent 76mg cholesterol, SodiumContent 625mg sodium, CarbohydrateContent 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, FiberContent 1g fiber), ProteinContent 17g protein.
SEAFOOD CHOWDER RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: MyVintageMommy
Total time: 1 hours 0 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
|1 ½ cups fat free milk|
|1 (8 ounce) container fat free cream cheese|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 (26 ounce) can fat free condensed cream of mushroom soup|
|1 cup chopped green onions|
|1 cup sliced carrots|
|1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, undrained|
|1 ½ cups chopped potatoes|
|1 teaspoon dried parsley|
|½ teaspoon ground black pepper|
|½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper|
|½ pound shrimp|
|½ pound bay scallops|
|½ pound crabmeat|
|½ pound calamari tubes|
|1 (6.5 ounce) can chopped clams|
- Place 1/2 cup milk, cream cheese, and garlic in a large pot over low heat. Cook and stir until blended. Mix in soup, green onions, carrots, corn with liquid, potatoes, parsley, and remaining milk. Season with black pepper and cayenne pepper. Simmer 25 minutes. Do not boil.
- Mix the shrimp, scallops, crabmeat, calamari, and clams, and continue cooking 10 minutes, or until seafood is opaque.
Calories 313.7 calories, CarbohydrateContent 32 g, CholesterolContent 157.8 mg, FatContent 5.1 g, FiberContent 3.3 g, ProteinContent 34.6 g, SaturatedFatContent 1.4 g, SodiumContent 1237.4 mg, SugarContent 6.1 g