HOW TO MAKE THE BEST SHRIMP BOIL IN THE SLOW COOKER | KITCHN
Provided by: Grace Elkus
Categories: Main dish,Dinner,Meat dish
Total time: 18900S
Prep time: 900S
Cook time: 18000S
|1 1/2 pounds small red-skinned potatoes (about 15), quartered|
|1 pound smoked Andouille or kielbasa sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|3 ears corn, shucked, cut into thirds crosswise|
|6 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled|
|1/4 cup Old Bay seasoning|
|1 medium lemon, halved, plus wedges for serving|
|6 cups water|
|2 pounds large raw shrimp (16 to 20 per pound), cleaned and peeled but with tails left on, thawed if frozen|
|For serving: chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, freshly ground black pepper, melted butter, and hot sauce|
- Add the potatoes to the slow cooker. Arrange the potatoes in a single layer in a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add the sausage, corn, and garlic. Layer the sausage on top of the potatoes, followed by the corn and garlic.
- Season with Old Bay. Sprinkle the Old Bay evenly over the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Add the lemon juice. Squeeze the lemon halves into the slow cooker, then toss in the squeezed halves.
- Add the water. Pour the water over the Old Bay so it incorporates throughout slow cooker; the water should come about halfway up the corn. Do not stir.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours. Cover and cook on the HIGH setting for4 to 5 hours.
- Add the shrimp. Add the shrimp, stir gently until just submerged, and cook until opaque, 10 to 15 minutes depending on size of shrimp. (If the slow cooker is too full to incorporate the shrimp easily, remove the corn before adding the shrimp.)
- Strain and serve. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the contents of the slow cooker to a newspaper or butcher paper-lined table. (Alternatively, spoon into shallow dishes.) Add the corn and top with the parsley, more Old Bay, and black pepper. Serve with the lemon wedges, melted butter, hot sauce, and reserved cooking liquid on the side for dipping.
SaturatedFatContent 6.2 g, UnsaturatedFatContent 0.0 g, CarbohydrateContent 33.0 g, SugarContent 4.9 g, ServingSize Serves 6, ProteinContent 46.4 g, FatContent 20.5 g, Calories 490 cal, SodiumContent 764.6 mg, FiberContent 3.9 g, CholesterolContent 0 mg