TORNADO POTATOES RECIPE (EASY SPIRAL POTATOES ON A STICK) | KITCHN
Provided by: Kristina Vänni
Categories: Side dish,Snack
Total time: 3900S
Prep time: 1200S
Cook time: 2700S
|4 (10- or 12-inch) wooden skewers|
|4 medium Yukon gold potatoes (see note below)|
|3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese|
|2 teaspoons smoked paprika|
|1 teaspoon garlic powder|
|1 teaspoon kosher salt|
|1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes|
|4 tablespoons olive oil, divided|
|1/4 bunch fresh parsley|
- Arrange a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 400°F.
- Insert an 10 or 12-inch wooden skewer lengthwise all the way through the center of each potato. If you’re struggling to insert the skewer, microwave the potatoes in 15-second intervals, just until the skewer successfully goes in, 30 to 45 seconds total. If you go too long, the potatoes will be too soft to cut thinly or spread out the spiral.
- Place the skewered potatoes on a cutting board. Hold a chef’s knife at a 30-degree angle at the top of one of the potatoes. Insert the knife about halfway through the potato, then keeping the knife in place, slowly rotate the potato without moving the knife to create a spiral around the potato. Try to keep your cuts as close together as possible. Next, retrace your path and cut down to (but not through) the skewer. Carefully wiggle your fingers in between a cut near the end of the potato and spread it apart and repeat the motion, moving down the potato — being careful not to tear the potato — to stretch the potato along the skewer. Repeat with the remaining potatoes.
- Place 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, 2 teaspoons smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes in a medium, shallow bowl, and stir to combine.
- Brush each potato with 1 tablespoon olive oil, brushing between each spiral, then roll in the Parmesan mixture, sprinkling the seasoning between each spiral to cover the surface. Place the skewers on the long edges of a 9×13-inch baking dish so the potatoes are suspended and don't touch the bottom of the dish.
- Bake until crisp and knife tender, 30 to 45 minutes. Meanwhile, pick the leaves from 1/4 bunch fresh parsley until you have 1/4 cup, then coarsely chop the leaves. When ready to serve, sprinkle the potatoes with the parsley.
SaturatedFatContent 6.5 g, UnsaturatedFatContent 0.0 g, CarbohydrateContent 39.6 g, SugarContent 2.1 g, ServingSize Serves 4, ProteinContent 14.7 g, FatContent 21.1 g, Calories 399 cal, SodiumContent 604.9 mg, FiberContent 5.3 g, CholesterolContent 0 mg
TORNADO POTATOES RECIPE BY TASTY
Provided by: Merle O’Neal
Yield: 2 servings
|2 medium Yukon potatoes|
|¼ cup butter, melted|
|1 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving|
|½ teaspoon black pepper|
|1 tablespoon garlic powder|
|1 tablespoon paprika|
|1 teaspoon salt|
|Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish|
|2 wooden skewers|
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF (160ºC).
- Microwave the potatoes for 1-1 ½ minutes, then leave in the microwave for a few minutes to cool down and soften. Insert a wooden skewer into the bottom of each potato and gently push it all the way through the top. Working in a spiral motion from one side to the other, hold a sharp, thin knife at an angle and cut in the opposite direction you are turning the skewered potato, cutting all the way down to the skewer. Take your time and work to make thin, even spiral all the way down the potato.
- Gently fan out each potato down the length of the skewer, until you have even gaps between the slices. Brush the melted butter all over the potatoes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the Parmesan cheese, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and salt. Place each skewered potato over the bowl and sprinkle half of the spice mixture over each potato until they are entirely coated. Carefully set the potatoes on a baking pan, letting the skewers rest on sides of the pan so that the potatoes are suspended.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until nicely browned. Garnish with additional Parmesan and parsley. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Calories 529 calories, CarbohydrateContent 33 grams, FatContent 35 grams, FiberContent 4 grams, ProteinContent 20 grams, SugarContent 2 grams
POTATO SPIRALS | TASTEMADE
Provided by: Tastemade
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
|1 2/3 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed|
|1 egg, beaten|
|2 tablespoons potato starch|
|2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese|
|Freshly ground pepper|
|3 tablespoons milk|
- Microwave potato for 3 minutes on high heat or until soft, then mash until smooth.
- Add beaten egg, potato starch, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and milk and mix well.
- Transfer potato mixture into a piping bag.
- Heat oil to 340 degrees F. Squeeze out potato mixture into hot oil in a spiral pattern.
- Cook until golden brown. Drain well on paper towel before serving.
- Serve with your favorite sauces and dips!