OAT SNACK MIX RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT
Provided by: Taste of Home
Total time: 55 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Yield: about 6 cups.
|1/2 cup butter, cubed|
|1/3 cup honey|
|1/4 cup packed brown sugar|
|1 teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/2 teaspoon salt|
|3 cups square oat cereal|
|1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats|
|1 cup chopped walnuts|
|1/2 cup dried cranberries|
|1/2 cup chocolate-covered raisins|
- In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Cook until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved; stir until smooth. , In a large bowl, combine the cereal, oats and nuts. Drizzle with butter mixture; toss to coat. , Transfer to a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 275° for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cranberries and chocolate-covered raisins. Store in an airtight container.
Calories 625 calories, FatContent 32g fat (12g saturated fat), CholesterolContent 41mg cholesterol, SodiumContent 496mg sodium, CarbohydrateContent 82g carbohydrate (45g sugars, FiberContent 6g fiber), ProteinContent 12g protein.
PRALINE PECAN CRUNCH SNACK MIX RECIPE – FOOD.COM
Total time: 1 hours 15 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours
Yield: 10 cups, 20 serving(s)
|8 cups Quaker Oatmeal Squares Cereal (1 whole box)|
|2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped|
|1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed|
|1/2 cup light corn syrup|
|4 tablespoons butter (margarine ok)|
|1 teaspoon vanilla|
|1/2 teaspoon baking soda|
|1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)|
- Heat oven to 250ºF. Spray 13 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Combine cereal and pecans in pan; mix well.
- In large microwaveable bowl, combine sugar, corn syrup and margarine.
- Microwave on HIGH 1 minute 30 seconds; stir. Microwave an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute 30 seconds or until boiling.
- Stir vanilla and baking soda and optional salt into sugar mixture. Pour over cereal mixture; stir to coat evenly.
- Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Transfer to baking sheet, spreading mixture in even layer. Cool completely; break into pieces. Store tightly covered at room temperature.
Calories 226, FatContent 11.1, SaturatedFatContent 2.3, CholesterolContent 6.1, SodiumContent 158.7, CarbohydrateContent 31, FiberContent 2.6, SugarContent 11.7, ProteinContent 3.5
SOFT AND CHEWY GRANOLA BARS
Provided by: Adam and Joanne Gallagher
Total time: 30 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Yield: Makes 12 bars
|2 1/2 cups (230 grams) old fashioned rolled oats|
|1/2 cup (80 grams) whole almonds, coarsely chopped|
|1/3 cup (113 grams) pure honey|
|1/4 cup (56 grams) unsalted butter, cut into pieces|
|1/4 cup (50 grams) packed light brown sugar|
|1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract|
|1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt|
|1/2 cup (60 grams) dried cranberries, coarsely chopped|
|1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (65 grams) mini chocolate chips|
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line the bottom and sides of a 8-inch or 9-inch square pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Add the oats and chopped almonds to a small baking sheet, and then bake for 5 minutes, stir and then bake another 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly toasted. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Combine the butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla extract and the salt in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until butter melts, the mixture is bubbling and the sugar completely dissolves.
- Pour the butter mixture into the bowl with toasted oats and almonds. Mix well. Let cool about 5 minutes, and then add the cranberries and a 1/4 cup of the mini chocolate chips. Stir to combine. Some of the chocolate chips will melt a little. This is fine, they turn into glue and help to hold the bars together.
- Transfer the oat mixture to the prepared pan, and then use a rubber spatula or damp finger tips to firmly press the mixture into the pan. Press hard here, this way the bars will stay together once cooled and cut — We press for about one minute to be extra safe.
- Scatter the remaining 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips over the pressed granola mixture, and then use a rubber spatula to gently press them into the top. Cover then refrigerate for at least 2 hours or freeze for about 30 minutes. Remove the block of granola mixture from pan then peel away the foil or parchment. Cut into 12 bars.
- Store granola bars in an airtight container for up to one week. For the softest bars, keep at room temperature. For slightly harder bars, store in the fridge. Bars will keep in the freezer for up to three months when wrapped well.
Calories 220, ProteinContent 3.8g, CarbohydrateContent 32.9g, FiberContent 3.1g, SugarContent 19.6g, FatContent 8.2g, SaturatedFatContent 3.7g, CholesterolContent 10.2mg