TOMATILLO RED CHILI SALSA – MARICRUZ AVALOS KITCHEN BLOG
Provided by: Maricruz
Total time: 25 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
|1 ½ lb tomatillos (husks removed and washed)|
|6 chile de árbol peppers (stem removed)|
|3 guajillo chili peppers (stem and seeds removed)|
|1 small onion (cut in half)|
|3 garlic cloves (skin on)|
|salt (to taste)|
- Place a comal or a cast iron skillet over medium heat and allow to heat up until smoky.
- Place tomatillos, allow to roast for about 10 minutes or until they soften and charred spots appears, make sure to flip them from time to time to roast evenly.
- Half way from tomatillos being roasted, add onions and garlic and roast until onions are translucent.
- Add chilies and roast those for a few seconds too (read notes).
Calories 92 kcal, CarbohydrateContent 17 g, ProteinContent 3 g, FatContent 3 g, SaturatedFatContent 1 g, SodiumContent 7 mg, FiberContent 6 g, SugarContent 11 g, UnsaturatedFatContent 2 g, ServingSize 1 serving
TOASTED CHILE DE ÁRBOL AND TOMATILLO SALSA RECIPE | BON APPÉTIT
Provided by: Itanoní, Oaxaca
Yield: Makes about 2 cups
|10 dried chiles de árbol, seeds and ribs removed|
|3 medium tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed|
|3 garlic cloves, smashed|
|1 teaspoon fresh lime juice|
- Toast chiles in a medium skillet over medium heat, turning often, until starting to brown lightly in spots (don’t char), about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Place chiles, tomatillos, garlic, and 2½ cups water in a medium saucepan and season with salt. Cover, bring to a simmer, and cook until tomatillos turn olive green and burst, 5–8 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit (still covered) 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer chiles, tomatillos, and garlic to a blender or food processor; add ½ cup cooking liquid from saucepan and purée until smooth. Add lime juice and season with salt. Let cool before serving.
- Do Ahead: Salsa can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and chill.